EASTERN OREGON/WESTERN IDAHO MANAGING EDITOR
Interested in managing a daily/weekly pair of community newspapers in a positive organization, while residing in a quality location that features some of the nation’s best weather and lifestyles?
The Argus Observer/Independent Enterprise is accepting applications and resumes for the position of Managing Editor. The Argus Observer, located in Ontario Oregon, is the only daily newspaper in the Western Treasure Valley. It publishes five days per week, Tuesday through Friday afternoon and Sunday mornings. It has an average paid Sunday circulation of about 7,500 and an average daily circulation of about 5,500. The Independent Enterprise, located in Payette Idaho, is a weekly newspaper and has an average paid circulation of about 1,600.
The Argus Observer and Independent Enterprise have websites with monthly page views of more than 200,000 each month and the newspapers are owned by Wick Communications, now in its third generation of family ownership.
Ontario is located 60 miles west of Boise, Idaho, on the Oregon/Idaho border. The community is very culturally diverse with a large Japanese, Basque and Hispanic population, a community college and cultural center.
Our managing editor position is a hands-on leadership job. Expectations include:
• Must edit stories tightly and quickly in order to help readers digest the news and information in a timely manner.
• Will oversee the writing of headlines and pagination under daily deadline pressures.
• Assign stories and coverage and when needed, grab a camera, a pad and cover the story.
• Must be open to trying new things; look at challenges as opportunities, apply/expect creativity and always uphold the foundation of journalistic integrity.
• Understand the value/appeal of news presentation, visual design and photojournalism.
• He or she will coach the staff and its improvement efforts.
• Communication and planning within the department is a must. It is an eight-person staff, 6 at the Argus Observer and 2 at the Independent Enterprise, and team players need only apply.
• Lead by example in the newsroom and community.
• New media plays a dynamic opportunity in our industry. He or she must exhibit a “get it online first” attitude, and a “get it the paper today” philosophy!
• The local news is always the top priority! Our online “footprint,” for our Web site, www.argusobserver.com and www.ind-ent.com is significantly local.
• Show an awareness and appreciation of local politics and the community’s rich local history.
This is a difficult job requiring similar experience. It’s not for shirkers, dreamers or those with a thin skin. The successful candidate likely has managed other community newspaper newsrooms. A college journalism degree or in a related field, with post-college training at state or national programs, is expected.
The Argus Observer/Independent Enterprise is an appealing place to work:
• We offer competitive pay, 401K retirement plan/match, paid vacation, a top-notch major medical plan and relocation assistance.
• You will find competent, friendly managers and staff throughout the organization.
Please apply ONLY electronically. Send a cover letter, a resume and references, salary history and expectations to: John Dillon, Publisher, Argus Observer and Independent Enterprise.
firstname.lastname@example.org You will get a confirmation of your application.